wait.

on the motorcycle?

or on the Motorcycle? :twisted:

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Glad my scarf is getting to see Melbourne, anyway, rose.

((((Timo)))) I’ve been pining for you.

##Mark## You got Natalie and Nat King Cole stuck in my head yesterday.

Just got caught in a thunderstorm on the motorcycle. Fun times.

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:19 pm

[[[MoRose)))

My "Don't You Forget About Me" was simply the Simple Minds song. I was referring to the multiple references to "the breakfast club." I wasn't being whiny. Not purposely, anyway. :P

Good to hear you've been drinking lots of Fosters, Rose! :lol:
    Don't worry, I know y'all don't really drink Fosters, it's a shitty beer. I must say I have not had much beer from NZ/Aus, but I am sure there are plenty that are very good.

(((CIFs)))

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Mark, it’s impossible to forget about you except when you are so often absent, of course, but even then, it is impossible to forget about you! I’ve been having some nice Aussie and NZ beers while I’ve been here, though not overly so!
    Wo, Wa, Glo, Timo – morning all – and I see CG posting out there :arrow: .

Thanks for the nice comment on the disabled thread, CB. We have 2 more days here. I do like Mel. I need some time to tour as well as to catch-up, and Wade, glad the lone gunman didn’t physically enter your orbit.

Oh, ‘glo – I know those parental controls would be a problem for you!
    RSPE: (rose style pre-edit?) – Oh, glo. Your scarf got another outing yesterday. It was perfect, though again, the day was a little warm to wear it beyond about 1pm.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I am having Hurricane Floyd flashbacks. I don’t think this one will be as bad though.

*hopes not!*

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Thanks, Wade. I’ll stop fretting now.

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:18 am

Wade,

I used to find it strange how the threat of a hurricane imminently making landfall always seemed to be a clarion call to gun-owner wackos to emerge from their bunkers and go take over the Discovery Channel.

It was only after taking a close look at the channel’s programming obsessions: loner-survivalists, storm devastation, shark attacks, and doomsday scenarios, that the pieces of the puzzle began to fall into place.

In a nutshell: the high winds scramble people’s signals. The lone wolf trooper gets a garbled message from headquarters and returns far too early to the mothership.

The Discovery Channel should do a show about the phenomena.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:16 am

:P i got home

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:02 pm

8O

Hope you make it home alive, Wade!

*prepares to wait three or four days to find out*

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:55 pm

oh yay.

nutcase gunman barricaded in discovery channel headquarters bldg a couple of miles down the road from me.

hurricanes and bullets galore. :|

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:49 pm

So, whilst I was away camping, my computer upgraded my security software. A new feature is Parental Controls, which the software helpfully defaulted to on, and set my security level to be appropriate for a five year old. :roll:

*missed amy and rose by mere minutes this morning* :(

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:15 pm

You know, Earl better get his shit together and stop pointing at Wade. That’s just rude.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:56 am

(((RoseAmes)))

♫ Don’t you forget about me ♫

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:13 am

Yes, he dropped in a while ago, but we haven’t heard from him since. Saw some hats in Melbourne that you’d probably like. Melbourne Cup is in Nov, which might seem a way off, but it is fashion week, and hats are big news amongst the race goers.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:17 am

Hey (((Rose))). I’m glad you had a good time with your friend.

I was getting ready to jump in (through) the shower. *pours a sip of BEER! on floor for Crash*

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:01 am

Hey, Ames. I hope I’m not too late. I’m just being slightly off beam out there :arrow:. Flickr photo-ing. And though it is almost 10, I might cook up some noodles (operating on Perth time). It was great to see my friend. His two year old is a doll.
    Hey, Rilla, too! If you are managing to be lucid at 6, or later.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:52 am

amy d reporting for breakfast club duty.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:20 am

hullo..
    Late night pouncys..(((CIFs))).
    Night Gallery is on and Pet society is loading and when that is done I will be going off to beddy bye..
    With any luck I will be rational at 6 am when I have to get the youngest up and off to school..

I have determined that only really stupid, evil people get free money..not really fair.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:32 am

Rats, Can’t stay up any longer. ♥ CIFs ♥

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Did I speak too soon? Wade?

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:26 pm

yeah i’ll get right on that, TOS. ;)

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Aw, I kinda missed the reverse-breakfast club!

Went to see The Last Airbender at Dollar Night at the budget theater. I really wish someone would tell M. Night Shamalyan (not going to bother looking up how to spell his name) that he can’t write dialog for shit.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Wade,

In the mid-80s I was living in Boston when Hurricane Gloria was heading straight for us. Rather than flee in a panic, I mobilized our entire community into decisive action.

Without getting too technical here, I’ll summarize the key component of my meteorological strategy.

Basically, I arranged for groups of blowers to ring the southeastern quadrant of the city. Each of them was issued prop birthday cakes and candles.

When I gave the signal, everyone was poised to blow. When the storm hit, my people stood shoulder to shoulder and blew right back at it.

The plan worked. Boston was saved Gloria’s wrath.

I can tell you, Wade, I’ve never felt prouder to be a temporary New Englander.

I made sure to personally congratulate all of my blowers the following weekend when I returned from my underground bunker in an undisclosed location near Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:54 pm

awww (((gloamy rose))) ♥

earl is aimed at where i live, amy. though the weather people are saying it will make a miraculous 90° turn before it gets to me. :P

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:20 pm

No cooking, Amy (it’s morning here). We’ll head out to a cafe. He has his 2yr old with him, so just a bit of Mel exploration and catch-up.

Gotta pop out for a mo’. Great to chat. Hope things keep going well.

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Thanks, Rose. You are right about the support.

Will you be cooking for your friend?

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Glad to hear it, amy. Sorry about the delay. Am uploading flickr photos, and waiting for a friend to come around. So if I disappear suddenly, he’s arrived!
    Good news is about the therapy, of course. Not about old habits and draining stuff, but if you’ve got support, it makes a big difference.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Wow, that is cheap! (and awesome)

Things are pretty good. My son started some of his old habits so I told him he had to move out. I started seeing a therapist and going to a support group and that has been pretty damn good, but draining. I have up days and I have down days, but, overall, my life is pretty damn good.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I didn’t receive them, Amy, as I’ve got the phone on airplane mode so that I don’t owe a small fortune to the provider, too! So hopefully we’re all Okay???

We picked up a cheap mobile here (29 dollars, and 29 dollars bought 150 dollars worth of credit!). I keep meaning to send a text to those in the U.S., but you know . . . I have no excuses . . . except I would have to open up one phone to get the numbers for the other.

If you want to see some Oz pics, TOS has some good ones. I haven’t really been able to upload many, though I am taking them (and I still prefer my Sharp to the Apple). I have a few.

How is everything going your way?

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Yes, I’ve been missing the breakfast crew. Those were the days.

I’ve accidentally sent you 2 text messages while you were in Perth. I’m hoping I don’t owe a small fortune to my provider.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Hey, (((amy))), me too. This is light the breakfast crew, but at the wrong end of the day, except for me!

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Hey (((Rose)))! It sounds like you are having a great trip.

I can’t say anything about the ghostie visit because I haven’t been here myself in quite awhile.

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Oh, the plane tv was telling us all about Earl. I hope you will be safe, Wade.
    The plane to Perth had all the individual entertainment systems, the one to Melbourne did not. It is a much shorter journey at times due to winds and whatever, so, it was alright!
    ‘glo, it is a little bit chillier here, so I finally got a chance to wear the beautiful scarf you made me! Especially as I have a bit of a cold – it nestled in nicely around the neck. But then I got too hot :( Still, it got to see a wee bit of Melbourne rather than the inside of my suitcase.
    Breakfast stories. I turned the fridge up too high and my tomatoes and mushrooms are frozen solid. Again. Same thing happened in Fremantle, but that was because the temp could not be adjusted. Oh well. Guess I will just have to subject myself to some of Melbourne’s famous food cooked by someone else ;)
    TOS is still buying lots of books (not right now, though). I should be out walking, It is raining. And it has been great to catch up with everyone (including Troy) on the various steps of this journey.

So, (((CBWogloWaamy))). I saw that ghostie paid a visit on the main yesterday? the other day?

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:51 pm

What is Earl pointing at Wade?

All I can say is, thank goodness it’s not pointing at Louisiana. Of course, there’s at least one more out there. Two, if Gaston has formed.

Glo, I’ve been meaning to say that you are one mother tripping lady. Every time I text you, you are on some kind of trip. I’m jealous.

Tobias the adequate –> reminds me of a hairier Mark.

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Good for you for not just letting it slide, CB. I’m sure tons of people don’t follow up and just through that money away.

((((W0))))

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:58 pm

*hears an odd beeping that seems vaguely reminiscent of something*

*checks oven timer, clock radio, cell phone, all silent*

*goes down into the basement and checks the dryer; silent*

*goes back upstairs and rummages in back of sock drawer, pulls out key*

*goes back downstairs, slips behind the water heater, pulls aside picture of dogs playing poker, unlocks small door in wall, pulls secret lever*

*walks through secret door, brushing aside cobwebs, and surveys the dusty lair*

*locates the alarm, and smiles*

*wadar is active again*

Batten down the hatches, Wade, and stay safe!

Just came home from camping. Only disaster was running out of propane in the middle of cooking this morning’s eggs and bacon. Luckily there was a camp store near by. The Nephews have learned sheepshead and had a fine old time playing five-handed with me, my sister and The Motorcycle.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:52 pm

hurricane earl is pointed at me.

that is all.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Good afternoon. I am overworked and underpaid. That is all.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Wow! A “no one in the Q” day! I don’t think that’s ever happened before.

Straightened out my move-out bill.Turns out the “dish removal” was about my DirecTV dish, but since it was never removed because I just transferred my service upstairs, that was taken off.
    The A/C coil cleaning was also removed when the office found out that there was no A/C coil cleaning performed…just that someone thought I hadn’t regularly replaced the air filters. The office staff vouched that I pick up new filters in the first week of every month.

So, no bill.

I still wonder how many folks are duped by this type of scam though.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:19 am

TOS, I’ll consider all of that, but it’s pretty simple around here.

Numbered, covered parking spaces are assigned to specific apartments.

Uncovered, un-numbered spaces are non-assigned parking spaces.

If you park in a covered space that is not assigned to your apartment, you’re in someone else’s parking space.

Pretty easy to know the difference.

Side note…the car that was in Ms. CB’s space the other night was in the space assigned to my old apartment yesterday. Funny really, because someone just moved into that apartment, and was complaining about that car in their space.

Some people never learn! ;-)

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:16 am

CB, Did Ms. CB have a sign stating: “Not Your Parking Space” at her parking spot in a place where it would be easily seen by the driver of the vehicle?

If not, then the first part of your message to the errant driver might only add to the confusion. How can one understand something that isn’t there?

Also, something to keep in mind is the fact that there are many of our fellow citizens (mostly young people) who, late at night, will be too high to maintain a proper focus on traffic safety, so they will pull into a random parking lot, get out of their vehicle, and just wander away.

Because when you’re driving, you have to keep this serious expression on your face, which is hard when you’re in awe at how all the lights of the city aren’t just being magnetically drawn to your windshield, they’re actually turning into little kaleidoscopic trails that seem to be perpetually melting into eternity.

You realize that it is so strange that you never noticed how beautiful the slippery lights are. So graceful. Pure.

You roll down the windows and realize that the trees seem to be screaming out lyrics to your favorite songs. Swaying euphorically. You’ve just got to get out there, lay in the grass, stare into the heavens, connect the stars, and enjoy the show.

You see a vacant space, fill it, and then vacate the object you filled it with.

Hours later, it’s true, a question like: “where did I park my car?” takes on a new relevance.

It’s the cycle of life playing itself out in your parking lot.

I’m curious to know who the person was who parked in Ms. CB’s space. What was going on in his or her life at that moment? Not on the surface. What was really going on inside? I know that you’re extremely busy at the moment, CB, but, if possible, could you try to convince that person to come to the community page and introduce himself or herself and then tell us his or her interpretation of the events that lead to this situation.

I can understand that you might not care one way or another about the reasons, and if that is the case, I’m OK with it. I’m happy to concoct my own
    little scenario.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:03 am

Bears.
    Bears and coyotes.
    Bears and coyotes and alligators*
    Bears and coyotes and alligators and rattlesnakes.
    Twisters.
    Hurricanes** through populated areas.
    We don’t have those.
    I’ve seen a snake in the wild about three times in my life. Not near a house, though others have seen them.
    I am sure that Florida and other places have tropical animals . . .
    Ah, well.
    All you really have to watch out for are the drop bears.

Now, I have finally got access to a computer, but as always, I have a few boxes to look at and pack. Hope all are well here, despite parking woes and those rental agent shysters (((CB))). They seem to be the same the world over.
    We’re off to Melbourne tomorrow, and will be back in the States the following Monday.

*We might have alligators. I know we have crocodiles, but only in the far north (tropical areas).
    **I think they’re called cyclones here, and they certainly pose a threat though do not often occur in too populated a place, Cyclone Tracy and some others excepted.

Oh, relatively few earthquakes, too.

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:28 am

Oh, Ms. CB went to the casino last night (lost) and when she got home at 2am someone was in her parking spot.

I put a note on their car which read: “WHAT PART OF “NOT YOUR PARKING SPACE” DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND?

NEXT TIME YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED.

IN CASE YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND THAT, IT’S WHEN A BIG TRUCK COMES AND TAKES YOUR CAR AWAY!”

Not very PA, but I had some Jesus stuff I decided not to put in! :-P

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:48 am

Hey, (((CIFs))…Everyone is well I trust?

I’ll back read to make sure.

Here’s my submission for today’s bullshit file:

Ever since changing apartments to a unit just upstairs, I haven’t seen my 6×9 Pyrex casserole.

Just got a notice that we owe a cleaning fee for the vacated apartment which we left in move-in condition. In fact, someone is moving in this weekend, and they didn’t even have to change the carpets as they usually do around here. So often in fact, that I thought that was their standard procedure.

Anyway, the bill comes to…get this…$310.00.

$75 for “Dish Removal”, and $235.00 for “Clean A/C coils”.

I’m going over to the office today to straighten this BS out, since A/C coils falls under “Ordinary wear and tear is expected.” in my lease, and these assholes should have just brought my casserole dish up to my apartment (a grand total of 18 stairs, about 10 feet vertically).
    It’s not like we left a filthy dirty service for eight in the sink or some such crap. It was a clean Pyrex casserole that was on a top cabinet shelf that Ms. CB is too short to have seen as far back as it was. Rather than bother them for the key, I just bought a new one. What?!

Not being an HVAC tech, I don’t even know what an A/C coil is, let alone how to clean one!! LOL

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:37 am

Wo,
    I used the VLC player recommended by the page below to play some documentaries and other programs in obscure AV formats on my previous computer. It worked fine for me. Some of the mechanics of it were non-intuitive for someone spoiled by the relative simplicity of WMV,
    but after an occasional game of Trial & Error, it always got the job done.
    VLC didn’t eat my directory or do anything harmful (that I’m aware of anyhow…it’s not the reason I have a different computer now).

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:06 am

I need to open flv files and they are stubbornly refusing me. GRRR.

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:47 am

We just got through seeing “Inception,” and it was dreamy.

I realized too late that RB’s list wasn’t Nicole’s, but that doesn’t mean that my feelings about Nicole have changed.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:50 am

In a rebellious moment, I have thumbed RB here. I had to. I was possessed.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:45 am

Hullo…

That list of deadly thingys in Australia is the main reason I haven’t felt the need to travel down under.

Picture day for the girl…and she didn’t wear three inches of eyeliner and mascara…They grow up so fast. *snif*

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:27 am

RB,

Thanks for confirming what I’ve long suspected about Nicole. I read her creepy list and recognized instantly that she’d passive-aggressively left off the two most deadly creatures: sharks and crocodiles.

Ever since Tom Cruise dumped her for that other one, she’s had it in for Americans. She won’t be happy until the sands of Australia’s beaches are soaking with American blood.

I’m not talking about stuff I know nothing about, either. Tom Cruise dumped me for Val Kilmer.

But after it happened I didn’t go out and try to get innocent folks of Mr. Kilmer’s nationality eaten alive by bloodthirsty creatures.

I took it like a man. After sixteen short weeks of crying myself to sleep every single night, I forgot all about my little rat bastard Tomboy.

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:01 am

•   RunBarbara bang

A list of frightening things that are in Australia:

-funnel web spiders
    -cane toads
    -box jellyfish
    -taipan snakes
    -red back spiders
    -those giant toddler eating earthworms
    -sea snakes
    -Nicole Kidman or ‘The Crypt Keeper’ as I like to call her

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:02 am

Taking my baby to college today. *sniff* At least I started the day right with WORD.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:47 am

hullo… (((Wo)))) got word…cool.

Coffee, coffee, pouncy , coffee.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:32 am

Apologies for shotgunning the MT just a while ago.
    Our internet has been down much of yesterday and all day until recently…
    and there were soooo many entry points compared to other MT’s of late.

Wo,
    I looked up flexeril and found out it’s similar to my nortriptyline.
    Probably not a good idea to take both, but if flexeril stops being effective, maybe worth talking to your health guru about one of the tricyclics on the page below. Hope you have continued pain relief.

P.S. Tried putting up a link to the Wiki page for flexeril’s chemical name, but Heisa kept eating the post. Maybe just one link can get through.

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:06 pm

•   0falcon8 bang

still around glo? wo? hello?

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:01 am

My oldest leaves for college tomorrow. He will only be 20 minutes away, but I still can’t stop crying. My baby is leaving the nest…

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:49 am

Are you sure you didn’t fall asleep watching Tremors last night, TOS?

I’m up, Rilla. But I don’t consider this hour ungodly at all. I got to sleep in, in fact, since I don’t have to go to work until 1 pm today.

Polly’s got the zoomies.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:09 am

Speaking of worms, did you know that there is a species of earthworm in Australia called Megacolides Australis that grow to 12 feet in length and six inches in diameter?

They look like regular old earthworms, but they’re so large that you can hear them when they crawl under the earth.

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:59 am

hullo…
    Please tell me I am not the only one up at this ungodly hour…(three hours sleep just to get the girl off to school)

COFFEE!!!

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:18 am

•   RunBarbara bang

Glo, I think yard hoarding can be contracted and simplified into: yoarding.

I noticed I have been doing the same thing with embroidery floss because it’s only 35 cents per spool at my local Oakland craft store, so my brain goes: “35 cents is a bargain! let’s buy $10 worth!” which leads to a veritable stockpile (four pounds less than a ‘shitpile’) of crafting supplies that I can probably never exhaust. Maybe this can be called embrofloarding? Something to think about.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:24 am

Hey, Glo! Saturday was fun. I got to tour an Arts Festival and hang out with an old friend. That’s always nice. Best of all, I wasn’t working!

Flexeril seems to be helping my neck, but working is difficult. My arm goes numb around the shoulder after awhile.

Did I miss Wade’s birthday? ((((Wade))))

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:18 am

How can you not but admire a country whose national anthem is “Waltzing Matilda” by Banjo Paterson?

How can your heart not stir when you hear the nation’s voices joyfully singing these lyrics from the 14th stanza:

Forgetting that spoons stir hot liquids much better,
    The swagman immersed his tool in his tea,
    And he sighed as he spied his old willy boiling,
    Now I can’t bugger you,
    So will you please bugger me?

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:33 am

TOS,
    Many others are available at Half.com for a couple bucks each or less.
    I know Half’s “shipping cost per item” adds to that, but sometimes you can find a few dealers who have more than one title in stock, which gets you a decent discount on shipping. Plus, if you prefer hardbacks, they’re way cheap compared to buying new or even used bookstore prices.

itsbe: Just noticed that Half.com has a new “Buying Wizard”. Havenn’t looked at details, but I imagine it does the search for multiple titles available from a single seller via automation. It used to be cumbersome and time consuming. It’ll probably make them a lot more money and save buyers a lot on shipping if it works well.
    Ever read Sinai Tapestry or Jerusalem Poker by Edward Whittemore ? They’re #1 and #2 of a four novel series and ultra-hilarious.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:46 am

Rilla, it would have to be a very game* hen indeed to be willing to step inside a paper pag while the oven is preheating.

Ty, Thanks for the Robinson/Callahan tip. I just ordered a first printing of the 1977 Ace paperback online.

* also a bit on the naive side

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:26 am

I am here though, I am not like Godot. hey glo! Not still at work right?

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm

LOL, oi. You’re just a young whippersnapper, and you’re what’s wrong with Kids These Days.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:11 pm

ooooh! Happy birthday (((wade))) I mean belated happy birthday! What did you do? Had fun?

Was not this just few days ago when Glo made us guess whose birthday it was? It certainly does not feel like a whole year!!!!!! time did not used to fly for me now it does. Am I getting old? No waaay!
    Be back in 10 minutes.
    hmm, not funny if I say so.What if Godot says so? Now what, aye?

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:38 pm

TOS,
    So happy to hear of your blessed windfall Down Yonder, even if it took the political analogue of that pitched-but-never-filmed unholy brainstorm of the Mitchell Bros. & George Clinton, Hung Parliament, to bring it about.

Religion is very prevalent in mi nuevo pais, and recently I have been “chosen” as one of many conduits approved by those in the highest places to receive offerings from those newly ready to embrace post-agnosticism.

If during your travels or upon your re-arrival in The Emerald City you happen to notice any Costa Rican terrorists (you’ll easily recognize them by their incorrigible penchant for the otherwise declasse, but culturally resonant, “pineapple” grenades) misplacing satchels full of CR colones, please advise and I’ll send local P.O. box info. If that avenue isn’t fruitful (doesn’t PAN out) and you just want to tithe a paltry 10% of what you saved in currency exchange rates, Paypal info will be forthcoming.

Remember, don’t skimp on the sunscreen and never bet on the Doberman water polo squad when they’re playing against those wet-working Roos.

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I can’t keep a stash of yarn. Fingers are too busy and the mind is not.

With the game hens I made a thing with margarine, lemon juice, sage,and salt/pepper and covered the bird and put it in the bag and then the oven for 425. about an hour later..done bird.
    The turkey, I just put a little butter under the skin and salt/pepper and sage rub on the skin and 425 for about 2 and half to 3 hour, or until the leg wiggles easy….

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I have to be stopped, Rilla. I may be approaching SABLE: Stash Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy.

What all goes in the bag?

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Glo, got more yarn? I just keep crocheting and I have quite a stock of things to sell come cold weather.

I use the paper bag method for my turkey as well…It always comes out perfect. Lunch bags are just the right size for game hens and grocery bags are a perfect fit for a 25 lb turkey. I am looking for the right size bag for a chicken and a goose…then I will try that as well.

back to lurking..* looks around at all the decorations and smiles. Lights the everpresent dogend*

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Hey, Wo! Did you have a good time on Saturday? Is your neck feeling better?

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:33 am

Rilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on Word! This is a great excuse for a party. *commences decorating hq*

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:16 am

Heh, rose, great minds think alike! Good night.

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

We see the tribe mentality on the MT all the time, don’t we, CB? Even though we know each of the troublemakers is completely equipped to deal with any naysayers out there, the urge to rally around is so strong! I definitely think racism, sectism, homophobia and the like are all rooted in the In Group/Out Group hard wiring we have. I would say that’s mostly why we have wars as well, and that we will probably always have wars.

I did drive down to Chicago, rose. Took one of my Tuesday night knitters with me and met another one down there. It was fun, but a tad expensive. Spent over $100 on yarn, but everything I got was a good deal–most about half the price I would have paid in stores.

Whoa! I totally missed Tink before, what the hey? (((Tink)))

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:44 am

Well, CB, it could be (that even in the q) we are hard-wired as you say. I like the fact that you point out that on a broader scale that things have gone ‘backwards’ though. Sometimes it is easier to just feel scared and give into panic in a knee- jerk way, but ultimately it only brings about power to the strongest, as has been illustrated. I do think “bread and circuses” have also been around for a long time as a tool of distraction – I don’t know that there is so much panic and easy distraction in here, but I could be wrong.

I am going to hang up my keyboard right now, though. It’s an early bedtime for an early rising tomorrow. How about that moon, huh? For anyone on my timezone.

Good days, all.

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:32 am

pouncy, Rilla!

I’d like to try the paper bag method some time.

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:23 am

I think it may be an innate fear that the other tribe may lure us away from our own tribe, rose.
    Something which may go very deep into our wiring as human animals.
    It becomes really hard to open our minds and see ourselves as ONE TRIBE, we still find differences to make ourselves separate from some and common with others…even when we KNOW better.
    That just may be a human trait we may need to learn to accept…and take into account in our dealings with one another.

I tried to explore this theme here once before, and things deteriorated in short order…and none of us is intellectually challenged…so why did we so quickly become polarized on the matter?

Are we all just stuck with our hard-wired tribal instincts? Or what?

Yes, I went overboard with the image I linked, but I was gang-raped for basically trying to open a REAL dialogue in Race. As if the issue were a done deal and anyone who said otherwise was playing some sort of guilt card.
    Fact is, there ARE things we need to talk about with clear heads, and the “don’t blame me” and “all of them are making excuses” arguments just get in the way or that.
    Sadly, I’ve learned that that isn’t going to change in the near future.

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:19 am

Hey, tinks. Great quote.
    You’re a great cook ‘rilla. I went to a friends place the other day – bread and pizza from scratch, and chilli mussels, too. Mmmm.
    Did you drive down to Chicago, glo? I hope it was a good diversion, anyway.
    We are in Perth until the 31, then in Melbourne until the 6th, and we arrive in Seattle on the 6th, gaining the day we lost on the way over!

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:15 am

Oh, I worked six days last week and have a full week this week as well, plus I’ve had a really nasty cold since last Saturday that just won’t go away, I used my only day off last week to go down to Chicago and shop for yarn all day, so I’m dragged out.

How much longer are you going to be there?

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:06 am

Hullo…*toes at the ground modestly* Pouncy?

This is a fair morning..gonna be hot. Just blew my budget setting up the girl for her first year in high school. What ever happened to just needing Paper and pen/pencils to make it in school…woof.

I discovered that if you cook a game hen in a paper bag. it comes out way better than using foil or other methods…yup.
    I am going back into lurk mode now..gotta plow that back 40.

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:03 am

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance!

My Rilla got Word!
    (ok, so I’m easy to please…)

and in vague reference to the previous conversation and the things going on in the world these days…
    “There is no greater gift to an insecure leader that quite matches a vague enemy who can be used to whip up fear and hatred among the population.” -Paul Rusesabagina, humanitarian (b. 1954)

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:03 am

Yes, CB. A scared and ignorant public is a malleable and easily manipulated public. Foucalt, Moore (Michael) and many others of course, have explored the concept that fear plays in control. It is sad to see things go backwards due mostly to what might start out as cynically pragmatic practice for a politician (the profession of one and only one kind of faith), but which then quickly seem to denigrate into widespread societal morès and unshakeable beliefs.

Nice to see that TOS is observing things while he is here, other than the inside of bookshops ;)

Thanks for info, ty, and the quote. I knew it was something like that for agenda, but couldn’t be arsed looking it up!

‘glo, the weather is unseasonably dry and warm – very beautiful, though summer is going to be hell. I am very nostalgic for the place! In winter, at least, it is bearable and quite beautiful. What gives or doesn’t give at the YOQI?

Congrats on Word, ‘rilla!

And, oh, there is a TOS post inbetween glo’s and CB’s which has been held up because of the ‘c’ word, all about our probably soon to be ousted caretaker atheist female prime minister. I hope it comes through. Some interesting points.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:53 am

Yay Rilla got Word!

I’m getting really sick of YOQI.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:30 am

CB, It’s odd that you’ve posed the atheist in politics question, because this past Saturday Australia had their election for prime minister. The current PM is an avowed atheist named Julia Gillard. She is from the left-wing Labour Party. Her opponent, Tony Abbott, is the leader of the Liberal Party, which is actually the conservative party. (Welcome to Australia, mate!)

Julia always refers to him as “Mista Rabbit.”

While the results of the election aren’t yet final, it appears to be tied, resulting in a “hung parliament.”

The interesting thing is that Julia Gillard has only been the PM for a month or so. The former PM, Kevin Rudd, was dumped in a midnight coup by his own pals, including Julia, after it appeared he would drag the Labour Party down when the next election happened.

Rudd was guilty of being a nerd with a mean streak. It was well known that he always referred to his own Minister of Finance (a male) as “that dumb c*nt.”

After Rudd was ousted, he leaked a bunch of stuff to the press that portrayed his own party in a less than favourable light in ann attempt to sabotage Julia.

With the stuff she had to battle against, it is impressive that Julia did as well as she did.

The bonus for me is that given the “hung parliament” result of the election, the Australian dollar has nose-dived against the US dollar, so when all the credit card charges get paid, the financial hit I’m taking won’t be as large.

I’m personally agnostic, leaning towards atheist, but at times like this, I can’t help but feel that maybe there is a God who has rigged this whole election for my personal benefit.

If so, “Thanks, dude! I owe you one!”

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:28 am

Rose! Astute? Me?…Naw, just observant. :oops:The relatives and supporters of the victims of 9-11 have learned nothing if all they have learned is to despise Islam. Should we despise all Catholics because of the sex scandals within their clergy now? All Evangelicals because of Jimmy Swaggart, Oral Roberts, Pat Robinson, et al?
    Why then all Muslims on the backs of their extremists and straight out crazies?
    And yet, the ignorance and small-mindedness at the core of our (like it or not) racist society again finds its way into the light of day.
    I have mentioned before that we make a mistake when we minimize the effects of oppression upon the oppressed. Here is yet another example of how we can somehow feel justified in violating the Constitutional Rights of a minority community…as long as we are not a member of that particular minority population.
    Not really “racism” per se. Let’s call it “sectism”.
    When was the last time anyone heard of someone running for office who was openly Atheist? Not a good idea, right? Christians would vote against her/him despite any strong and valid ideas about how to govern they may have. The “American Way”? I think not. The way America is? Damn straight.
    We all admit we have work to do, but as long as it is under cover, we like to pretend it isn’t there, or at least not as pervasive as those who feel it say it is.
    I may have to thank the Tea Party activists and Sarah Palin for showing us all just how much, or little, things have REALLY changed…back, for they give cover and courage to those who harbor such destructive beliefs, but would never give voice to them without a perception of popular support.
    Twenty-five years ago this would have been a no-brainer FOR the mosque/community center, even in the face of a 9-11-type event.
    Now, ignorance, hatred and fear have taken root again.
    We need some politicians with balls enough to stand for what’s right, and not pander to the baser instincts of their constituencies. After all, they swore to defend The Constitution…not their Party.
    Bigger men and women would educate, not agitate their people.

Way to go (((M-A)))! :-D

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:24 am

Happy Birthday, Senor Bedraggled.

Condolences to anyone in sadness.
    Felicitations to anyone rejoicing.

What with the time zone differences and all, this may or may not be what Spider Robinson would call a Crosstime Saloon, but it seems like a good time and place to quote his Callahan’s Law, which says:
    Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased —
    thus do we refute entropy.

rose,
    Agendum is the singular item to be considered or accomplished, so my take is that adding the “s” to agenda is, while decodable, unnecessary.
    Although agendas does (that sounds a little off, dudn’t it ?) make a tasty ice cream component…just add an aitch + temper to a smooth consistency.

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Hey rose! How is it visiting the old homestead? Making you nostalgic?

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Ooh, and happy birthday, Wade! Hey, ‘glo!

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Morning (((all)). Popping through before I go down to South Beach for a walk where there are plenty of dogs, always stingers when I swim, but I don’t think a shark has been sighted for a while.

Astute comments, CB.

The weather is beautiful. Clear and warm, though rain is greatly needed. We recently had an election here, and the fact that we now have a hung parliament, I think, or it seems likely (down to 400 votes in my constituent) is due to many things, but a major reason is that the two major parties took the environmental issues off their agenda(s) [the plural is strange for that one, isn't it?]. Considering the tenuously governing party was elected greatly for reasons of people hoping it would address environmental issues, it is a slap in the face to them. However, all the protest voters such as myself have probably now ensured that an ultra-conservative government is in power (though the two parties are similar) due to our preferences system.

All fun and games in the q?

Morph, great to see that your bosses got their comeuppance. WotV, hope that things get better. ‘rilla and ‘glo, I hope the general public doesn’t drive you crazy. Wade, welcome back. I think I saw ((ToyoiMark&ty)).

Shower. . . walk . . .

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:26 pm

((((((((((Wade))))))))))

Hope it was a good day, sweetie.

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:26 pm

*drags his bedraggled ass into the q*

sooooo sorry for being awol. too much work. :(

thanks for all the birfday wishes :D

sorry about Parker puppeh, ((((glo)))) :cry:

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:58 pm

hullo..
    Is teh Wade due for birthday pouncys? pouncypouncy..

MrRilla is looking toward moving the living room furniture around tonight…whee…I am not a big furniture re-arranger I am very happy leaving things the way they are. But to make him happy , I will move the couch from one side of the room to the other.

I miss my (((CIFs))). and never seem to have enough time to gossip like we used to….

Aug 22, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Things are much the same as ever at YOQI, Boss Lady on vacation which means I worked six days this week, but everyone’s happy.

Thanks, The Motorcycle and I are still pretty broken up about the pup. The house seems really quiet and empty when we come home.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm

•   morpho aurora bang

((((glo)))) lovely to see my favorite flower also :D
    how are things at YOQI? i saw the sad news about Parker, so sorry honey

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Oh hai (((((morpho))))))

What a delight to see your beautiful blue butterfly! I’m glad those rat bastards got what was coming to ‘em. Yay!

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:58 pm

•   morpho aurora bang

happy birthday wade! ♥ hope you are having a good one :D

the nasty little mess my previous employers created has been resolved very much in my favor. and their business is not doing so well. i, however, am doing very well. so yay! for me and :P for them. :D

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Morning, (((Glo)))

Interesting stuff, {{{TOS}}}

Happy Birthday, [[[Playa!!]]]

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:58 am

Somebody’s learning things on his trip Down Under.

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:40 am

Since both the kangaroo and the emu are unable to walk backwards, the Australian people decided to use both of them on the country’s official coat of arms.

If a kangaroo is being chased by a vicious dog, the kangaroo will leap into water in order to escape. If the dog pursues it into the water, the kangaroo will then turn to face the dog, and use its arms to shove the dog’s head underwater until it drowns.

When Australians sent the first platypus to London, the English scientists thought the Australians were playing a joke on them by gluing a duck’s bill onto a rat’s body.

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:33 am